ARE YOU CONSIDERING CANNABIS FOR CANCER?
I often wish I had while I still had the chance.
In 2013 I lost my beloved dog Eva Chan to Cancer (Hemangiosarcoma).
Eva was a very special dog. The kind of dog you only find once or twice in your life. She never had to be formally "trained," she had a huge fan club of people who loved her kind and sweet nature, and was always by my side whether at work, while traveling or just going to the grocery store.
Her deteriorating health had a deep, profound effect on me. I scrambled to find options to make her life easier, if not turn the cancer around.
To be honest, I felt responsible for her suffering, but didn't know what to do. And at that time there was little information or anecdotal examples of people using Cannabis for their dogs.
I was scared giving her Cannabis would make her more uncomfortable or worse, kill her. So I didn't use it.
I wish I had known then what I know now....
Like I said, in 2013 there was little to no information on how to use Cannabis to address animals with Cancer.
As you keep reading below, you will see things have definitely changed.
And as you might have already guessed Eva is the inspiration behind Cannimal.
Full Spectrum Products
Cancer is the #1 disease-related killer of dogs and cats.
An estimated 6 million dogs and nearly 6 million cats will be diagnosed with cancer this year. The Veterinary Cancer Society states: cancer is the leading cause of death in 47% of dogs, especially dogs over age ten, and 32% of cats.
1 National Cancer Institute Center for Cancer Research
2The Veterinary Cancer Center
47% of dogs! That is almost 1 out of 2 dogs who will get cancer.
I have always seen and known the power of Cannabis and Hemp and even wrote an essay on the legalization of Cannabis - back in 1995!
Since then- and particularly in the last few years- the amount of information on the internet and in clinical studies has grown exponentially.
One thing is certain, studies have show CBD is effective for pain, inflammation, anxiety, epilepsy (See my page ABOUT ANIMAL PAIN for more about CBD) as well as cancer.
Review CBD for Pain Trial Here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22585736
Over 15,000 studies have been done on Cannabis and Cancer, and the message is clear.
The use of cannabinoids as anticancer agents has positive results.
In “The use of cannabinoids as anticancer agents” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, Volume 74, 6 March 2017, Pages 57 the study shows:
The endocannabinoid system may play a dual role on the regulation of tumor generation and progression.
Administration of THC and other cannabinoids (CBD) exert anticancer actions in animal models of cancer.
THC and CBD induce cancer cell death and inhibit tumor angiogenesis.
Cannabinoids (CBD and THC) enhance the anticancer activity of other antineoplastic agents in animal models of cancer.
Cannabinoids (CBD and THC) are currently being tested as anticancer agents in phase I/II clinical studies
In essence, cannabinoids exert palliative effects on some cancer-associated symptoms. In addition, evidences obtained during the last fifteen years support that these compounds can reduce tumor growth in animal models of cancer. Cannabinoids have been shown to activate an ER-stress related pathway that leads to the stimulation of autophagy-mediated cancer cell death. In addition, cannabinoids inhibit tumor angiogenesis and decrease cancer cell migration.
WHAT DOES THC DO?? WHAT DOES CBD DO?
1. THC is anti-proliferative. Meaning that it inhibits cancer cells from reproducing. One of the hallmarks of cancer cells is that they keep replicating, they are immortal and unstoppable, that’s the problem. “THC inhibits protein synthesis so that tumors cannot grow.” (Dr. Donald Tashkin Pulmonary and Critical care UCSF)
2. An antiangiogenic effect. Here THC inhibits the ability of cancer cells to grow new blood vessels. Stop blood vessel formation and you prevent cancers from feeding and oxygenating thus encouraging their demise. (My dog Eva's Cancer spread from her leg to her lungs- all through the blood vessels)
3. Anti-metastatic effect. THC prevents cancers from spreading from the main tumor into other parts of the body. Keeping a primary tumor from metastasizing is of paramount importance in reducing death rates in cancers. The mets are which generally kill the patient by disrupting organ function and starving the patient of vital nutrients.
4. THC has a powerful apoptotic effect. Meaning that THC induces cancer cells to commit suicide. This is a feature of normal cells but malignant cells have lost that ability so they live forever. This effect hastens the death of cancer cells while leaving normal cells untouched.
5. THC stimulates CB receptors on tumors to produce ceramide. Ceramide is a compound that enters cancer cells and inactivates the cell’s energy source the mitochondria. This leads to cell death.
6. CBD has shown to inhibit the progression of cancers located in the breast, lung, prostate and colon in several animal trials47,57,68,99.
7. CBD has also shown to cause a dramatic drop in both mitochondrial oxidative metabolism and the viability of the cells that make up brain tumors (glioma), thereby having an antiproliferative effect.
8. One study found that administering a combination of CBD and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) four hours before radiation treatment increased the radiosensitivity of cancer cells, which caused an increase in cell autophagy and apoptosis 81.
9. CBD acid (CBDA), the acidic precursor of CBD, has shown to have the capability of down-regulating invasive human breast cancer cells and therefore preventing their growth86. The same team of researchers later again found CBDA to effectively inhibit the migration of breast cancer cells and identified the cannabinoid’s downregulation of the proto-oncogene c-fox and the enzyme cyclooxygenate-2 to be the mechanisms responsible for its anti-cancer effect87.
Please see the footnotes for reference.
Anecdotally and in clinical trials, THC and CBD have shown success with Cancer patients. Researchers have tied this success to the presence of Ceramide.
When THC connects to the CB1 or CB2 cannabinoid receptor site on the cancer cell, it induces an increase in ceramide synthesis that leads to cell death. A normal cell does not produce ceramide when it is near THC; therefore it is not affected by the cannabinoid.
The reason the cancer cell dies is not because of the cytotoxic chemicals, but because there of a small shift in the mitochondria. The purpose of the mitochondria within a cell is to produce energy for the cell to use. As the ceramide is produced, it turns up the sphingolipid rheostat. This production increases the mitochondrial membrane permeability to cytochrome c, which is vital protein in energy synthesis. The cytochrome c is then pushed out of the mitochondria, which ultimately kills the source of energy for that particular cell.
The presence of ceramide leaves no possibility of cancer cell survival. This is because it causes genotoxic stress in the cancer cell that generates a protein call p53, which disrupts the calcium metabolism in the mitochondria. Ceramide also disrupts the cell’s digestive system that produces nutrients for all cell function, and actively inhibits pro-survival pathways.
This study proposes that the key to the cancer killing process is the accumulation of ceramide in the system. This means that by taking any amount of CBD and THC, at a steady rate over a period of time, the patient will keep metabolic pressure on these cancer cell death pathways.
KEYS TO SUCCESS
It does appear however, that there are certain key elements for success:
Treatment needs to start early in cancer tumor diagnosis
The quality of the oil and consistency of the oil used for treatment
Oil needs to be tested and proven to be Pesticide, Metals and Toxin free.
Omega 3 rich diet free from contaminants an processed foods.
Strong belief it can work and commitment to the treatment is necessary!
Here at Cannimal we recommend this protocol for treating the side effects of Cancer, the side effects of Cancer treatments, and supporting the system in killing cancer cells.
AM: Use Eva's Blend formula for Cancer FULL SPECTRUM CBD + Turkey Tail Mushroom
PM: Use FULL SPECTRUM CBD OIL CONCENTRATE 650mg
Help your pet live a longer, more comfortable life.
Watch these videos for amazing success stories with Cannabis and Animals!
Please note these are anecdotal stories that tell the personal experiences of the person in the videos. These are independent individuals- not our products.
DISCLOSURES AND DISCLAIMERS:
FDA DISCLAIMER: Statements contained in this document have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult your physician before beginning any program.
Disclaimer: Marijuana remains illegal under federal law. Cannimal gives free information in accordance with California Attorney General Guidelines, California Health and Safety code 11362.5 and 11362.775, Prop 215 and Senate Bill 420.
Cannimal does not promote illegal sales or use of marijuana in any way. We are a licensed and permitted manufacturer operating under CA laws and regulations.
Cannimal sells both Hemp oil products legal to ship across state lines as well as dispensary products available in CA legal and permitted dispensaries.
Click on images to Shop
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT A CUSTOM PRODUCT FOR YOUR DOG, Cat or Horse? Submit the form below and we will be in touch within 24 hours.